Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Heart Belongs to Blue

For those who know me in person, this is old news. But I wanted to share a bit more of myself with the cyberspace readers who are only learning about me through my very few widely-spaced blog entries. I love blue chicks. No, not the marshmallow Peeps that only every appear on Earth once a year during Easter and Passover. Nor do I mean some yet to be discovered country group of Miley Cyrus wannabes. I'm talking about blue women; and yes, they do come in that color.

By now you might have already skimmed over my article about the Real Women of Color found in science fiction episodes and--my personal favorite--a certain spectacular video game called Mass Effect. Once I discovered that the Asari were as enticing of an alien race as they were androgynous, my heart was stolen. Granted, my only completed run-through of Mass Effect does not find my female Sheppard character interacting intimately with any of the possible Asari vixens, but the love was there nonetheless.

Since beating Mass Effect I have thought much about the love-lost Liara and her bisexual race of cerulean sisters. My friends joke that I could never truly love another woman unless she indeed was blue (preferably with tentacle cornrows or some other exotic hair/head-style). My infatuation seemed futile, but I was willing to suffer. Only months until Mass Effect 2 would open new doors of inter-species relationship possibilities for Commander Sheppard, and perhaps a second (or third or forth) chance to bask in azure affection.

But then I saw them: goddesses floating in a whirl of ice and metal. Every metallic fiber of their bodies was impossible and (to quote one of my favorite Yoko Kanno songs) incredible math. They worked perfectly together to achieve their highest purpose which was..to both get ridden by a guy named Snow???


Let's shift into reverse for a moment. I'm talking about the Shiva summon from the highly anticipated Final Fantasy XIII coming out in March. There are actually two sisters, Styria and Nix, who make up this summon in the new Square-Enix project, and boy are they intense! Not only do they support giant headpieces of gold, silver, and steel, but they do an awkward little yoga move and transform into a freaking motorcycle! And once they become said motorcycle, the main protagonist gets to hop aboard and take out enemies on his sweet new ride. Crazy, but I love it.



Final Fantasy Shivas of the past have all rocked the icy skin and elaborate locks, but none so Tron/RoboCop as this new duo. And if there is anything I love more than blue chicks, it's anything remotely related to motorcycles or, of course, robots. After a couple of days of learning as much as I can about the Shiva sisters, I was hooked. I had found love again, mainly in the older sister, Styria, who is darker, trimmed in gold, and forms the front of the blue babe bike. Her extraordinary attire (no pun intended) and unnatural poise gave me a new ambition in life: I wanted to DO Styria.

GUTTER MIND! Not like that! I want to DO her costume. I want to become Styria. At first, the thought was overwhelming and as fantastic as Square-Enix's namesake games. I studied her legs (exhaust pipes), her sharp gold accessories, and, for the love of the goddess, her headpiece! Maybe I'm disillusioned or overestimating my novice cosplay abilities, but one thing is for certain: I am crazy in love with her complete design. So crazy that I have already begun to purchase the basic materials needed to attempt such an outrageous costume feat--gold rings, foam sheets. If the annual designers of Brazil can dress their carnival queens up 10-foot high costumes, I can at least try my semi-experienced hand at one of Enix's most exquisite and whimsical creations.

It's going to be hard sharing the love when Mass Effect 2 comes out in January. I'm just one girl in the universe surrounded by beautiful blue distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment